With rigorous economic research and practical policy solutions, we focus on the issues and institutions that are critical to global development. Explore our core themes and topics to learn more about our work.
In timely and incisive analysis, our experts parse the latest development news and devise practical solutions to new and emerging challenges. Our events convene the top thinkers and doers in global development.
The mobile phone revolution is allowing countries to skip investing in landlines, prompting many observers to assume that countries might also skip building an electricity grid and jump right to distributed home energy systems (e.g., here and here). New disruptive technologies are exciting and alluring, especially in sub-Saharan markets where the unmet infrastructure needs are huge. After all, if you can charge your smartphone with a rooftop solar kit, then who needs power plants and a grid?
In fact, less than 1% of the energy needed for a smartphone is used by the phone. The other 99% is needed to operate cell towers, run data centers, and actually manufacture the phone—which Ethiopia already does and Kenya hopes to do soon.
The Energy Iceberg shows that even in a digital economy, countries still need more than a phone charger—they need reliable affordable power at scale.
To learn more about why we should be focused on large scale energy for industry that drives growth and job creation, listen here.
CGD blog posts reflect the views of the authors, drawing on prior research and experience in their areas of expertise. CGD is a nonpartisan, independent organization and does not take institutional positions.