Download chapter (PDF 452kb)
Chapter at a glance
- We have sought to design a mechanism to which industry will respond by increasing R&D on vaccines for diseases occurring mainly in developing countries.
- Industry is attracted to the concept of payment for results; the market mechanism fits their business model well and preserves the role of intellectual property rights and market sales financing commercial investment in pharmaceutical R&D.
- Our consultations revealed a range of priorities for the commitment from different parts of industry.
- An advance market commitment would be of value to developingcountry suppliers, which often do not benefit from other incentive arrangements.
- Complementary measures are needed to improve the procurement of existing vaccines, improve demand forecasts and increase funding for existing drugs and vaccines.
Read full chapter (PDF 452kb)