Our Legacy Society members share a commitment to a better future for people in the developing world. Legacy giving is for everyone: planning for the future—and leaving a future gift—is an important way to ensure long-term impact without any cost upfront during your lifetime.
To aid our supporters in joining the Legacy Society, we have partnered with FreeWill to bring you a simple, customized platform to create your legal will online and make bequests to CGD.
How it works
- Use our free tool to create your legal will online, or to document your wishes and find an attorney near you. Simply enter your email address to start.
- Specify within your will the amount or percentage of your estate you’d like to leave (if any) to CGD and other charity organizations.
- Rest assured knowing you’ll be making positive change for generations to come.
If you’d prefer to go straight to an attorney to draft your will and you choose to leave a gift in your will, we suggest the following language and to advise us of your intentions:
“I bequeath (amount OR percentage) to the Center for Global Development, a nonprofit corporation organized and existing under the laws of Washington, D.C., with the principal business address of 2055 L Street NW 5th Floor Washington, DC 20036 and federal tax identification number 52-2351337.”
CGD welcomes you to the Legacy Society if you have:
- Included CGD in your estate plan through a will or living trust
- Created a charitable remainder trust, which names CGD as the remainder beneficiary
- Entered into a charitable-gift annuity agreement with CGD
- Named CGD as the beneficiary of a life insurance policy or retirement plan
Contact CGD's Abby Newbold at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you have made future plans for the Center for Global Development. We will send you your membership acknowledgement and welcome letter. The specifics of your arrangements for CGD will remain confidential.
The Center for Global Development is an independent, nonpartisan research institution and a 501(c)(3) organization, supported by contributions from individuals, foundations, bilateral organizations, and corporations. All contributions to the Center for Global Development are US tax-deductible as charitable contributions to the extent permitted by law and will be disclosed to the IRS and may be disclosed to the public. Contributions also must conform to CGD's funding principles. CGD's tax identification number is 52-2351337. CGD Europe is established as a company limited by guarantee in the UK and as a registered UK charity (number 1157318).
We are grateful to our funders for their appreciation and support for our funding guidelines and transparency policies. CGD does not accept funding that seeks to impose limits or restrictions on our independence in research, findings, conclusions or resulting publications.